President Bola Tinubu has directed payment of all pending Group Life Assurance owed to the families of deceased soldiers without delay.
The President also directed the Armed Forces and other security agencies to decisively deal with all security challenges facing the country,
The Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja, disclosed these on Tuesday while declaring open the COAS Combined 2nd and 3rd Quarter Conference 2023, at the Army Headquarters Command Officers Mess Abuja.
He said: ” The Federal Government has a scheme called the Group lLife Assurance. It is an insurance scheme designed to give succour to families of our departed heroes.
“This scheme works in such a way that the government pays premium to the insurance companies and in the event of death the insurance companies pay claims to the families of our departed heroes.”
” However, we have a backlogs of between 2012 and 2022, when claims were not paid. And some people died in the cause of service to the nation.
“So, the insurance companies are at the liberty of paying the premium are not paying, and that is why the Federal Government has taken it upon itself to discharge that backlog, and bring relief to the families of our departed heroes.”
Lagbaja said that troops’ welfare and that of their families would continue to remain predominant in all his efforts to enhance the effectiveness and effeicjency of troops.
The COAS also said the Nigerian Army has established some Special Forces units using specially trained personnel to tackle various criminalities across the country, in a bid to further enhance its operational effects.
He said the Special Forces units have continued to record impressive performances through intelligence-led operations and the use of special equipment.
The COAS, however, charged field commanders to ensure the maintenance of sofisticated platforms and equipment procured by the army, in order to prolong their life span and enable the nation to optimize its investment.
Lagbaja noted that the activities of Operation HADIN KAI in the North East have effectively curtailed Boko Haram and other terrorist activities in the region and led to the large-scale surrender of members of the terrorist groups and thesubmission of a large cache of arms and ammunition.
Read full speech:
ADDRESS BY THE CHIEF OF ARMY STAFF LIEUTENANT GENERAL TA LAGBAJA NAM GSS psc(+) usawc CM FCM FCMH MSS AT THE OPENING CEREMONY OF THE CHIEF OF ARMY STAFF’S COMBINED SECOND AND THIRD QUARTERS CONFERENCE 2023 HELD AT THE ARMY HEADQUARTERS COMMAND OFFICERS’ MESS 1 ASOKORO ABUJA ON 12 SEPTEMBER 2023
- I am delighted to welcome you to the Army Headquarters Command Officers’ Mess 1, Asokoro, Abuja, for my maiden quarterly conference as the Chief of Army Staff. This conference is crucial as it combines the Second and Third Quarters Conference for the Year 2023. I believe none of us is oblivious as to why the Second Quarter Conference had to be rescheduled and combined with that of the Third Quarter. My appointment as the 23rd Chief of Army Staff on 19 June and subsequent assumption of office on 23 June 2023 and the need to allow newly appointed principal staff officers, formation commanders, and other appointees to assume office and get familiar with their responsibilities necessitated this option. I thank the Almighty God for allowing us to assemble for this Conference as one happy family eventually.
- The Chief of Army Staff’s quarterly conferences are designed to provide a veritable platform to review the conduct of the Nigerian Army’s administrative, training, logistics, and operational activities and other key issues relating to the service within a quarter. Because circumstances made it impracticable to hold the Second and Third Quarters conferences separately, and the Year 2023 has been full of significant occurrences at the national and the international scenes, you I will agree with me that we have a busy programme ahead. This conference thus offers participants an opportunity to review decisions taken during the Chief of Army Staff First Quarter Conference 2023, conducted under the past leadership.
- It is worth noting that since the majority of us were part of the previous administration and held critical appointments, we were undoubtedly part of its decision-making hierarchy. We are thus eminently qualified to effectively assess the level of implementation of decisions taken during the First Quarter Conference 2023. This is with a view to refining some of our strategies to be in tune with the fast- changing security and strategic environments. Therefore, I urge everyone to optimize the few days we have for this Conference to brainstorm and holistically review our operations and related activities across the Country and internationally.
- It is heart-warming to note that our activities in Operation HADIN KAI in the North East have effectively curtailed Boko Haram and other terrorist activities in the Region. Overall, our efforts have resulted in the large-scale surrender of members of the terrorist groups and the submission of a large cache of arms and ammunition. The good people of Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa States are steadily picking up their livelihood as the military, in collaboration with the government, is helping to restore governance to the hitherto deprived areas. The operational activities of our troops in Operation HADARIN DAJI and Operation WHIRL PUNCH have also greatly checkmated banditry and insurgency in the North West and North Central Regions of the Country.
- We have equally heightened our efforts in containing criminalities perpetrated in the Southeast region by the Indigenous People of Biafra and Eastern Security Network. Through Operation UDO KA, our troops have, in collaboration with other relevant stakeholders, put an end to the infamous sit-at-home order that has almost crippled socio-economic activities in the Region. Law-abiding citizens of the Region now go about their businesses and everyday life.Similarly, our joint efforts with various government agencies have quelled attempts by criminals to disrupt economic activities in the South West Region. Our troops’ upscaled anti-illegal oil bunkering operations in Operation DELTA SAFE in the South South Region have also yielded tremendous outcomes. Although we are not there yet in terms of the level of success we hope to achieve in our anti-illegal bunkering operations; there is no denying the fact that we have seen appreciable improvement in the country’s daily crude production.
- As you are aware, all military operations come at a cost, the quantum of which cannot be accurately determined before they are incurred. To this end, it is an open secret that we have sometimes suffered painful setbacks and have paid for our successes in blood and treasures. However, I am glad to observe that we have remained resolute in our drive to deny all criminal elements in our society respite, as their dastardly acts have only strengthened our resolve to intensify our onslaught against them.
- In a bid to further enhance our operational effects, the Nigerian Army has established some Special Forces units using specially trained personnel to tackle various criminalities across the Country. The Special Forces units have continued to record impressive performances through intelligence-led operations and the use of special equipment. As we continue to procure and induct more sophisticated platforms and equipment into the various theatres as force multipliers, I charge field commanders to ensure the maintenance of these platforms and equipment to prolong their life span and enable the nation to optimize its investment.
- To align with the directive of the Commander-in-Chief, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Grand Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic, that the Armed Forces and other security agencies should decisively deal with all security challenges facing the Country, we must continue to conduct ourselves in a manner that reflects us as a committed force. In line with this, I conceived my Command Philosophy to “transform the Nigerian Army into a well-trained, equipped and highly motivated force towards achieving our constitutional responsibilities within a joint environment.” This Philosophy will guide and drive our actions and engagements as I lead the Nigerian Army into becoming a force ready to operate and respond to any form of threat in any domain and spectrum, within and outside the boundaries of Nigeria through joint efforts.
- I am also aware of the critical role of sound administration and troops’ welfare in our operations. To this end, troops’ welfare and that of their families will remain predominant in all our efforts. I intend to consolidate all existing welfare arrangements to enhance the well-being of our troops and their families, as this will keep them focused on their tasks. In addition to providing befitting living quarters for our personnel, we shall ensure the newly introduced ‘Affordable Home Ownership Option for All Soldiers Scheme’ designed to provide affordable and high- quality post-service homes for our soldiers work. We shall also ensure that our injured warriors get the best medical care and continue to support the widows and next-of-kins of our fallen heroes.
- At this juncture, it is with all sense of humility that I wish to express the Nigerian Army’s gratitude once again to the President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR, for directing that all pending Group Life Assurance payment owed to the families of our departed warriors be paid without delay. I also thank Mr President for his strategic guidance and the confidence reposed on the leadership of the Armed Forces of Nigeria. On behalf of the officers and soldiers of the Nigerian Army, I want to reiterate our unalloyed loyalty and pledge our total commitment to the defence of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- In closing this address, permit me to remind you that the enemies we fight are emboldened by weakness; strength is what keeps them to stand back. Therefore, we must be willing, able, and ready to project an appropriate level of force to confront situations as they develop across the Country. With this said, I once again welcome all participants to this conference, and I, on this note, have the honour to declare the Chief of Army Staff Combined Second and Third Quarters Conference 2023 open.
- I wish us all successful deliberations.
- Thank you, and God bless.