The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) on Wednesday said heavy duty trucks and trailers will not be allowed to use the 2nd Niger Bridge when opened for temporary use on December 15.
The Corps in a statement issued by its Sector Commander, Delta Command, Bassey Esiet, said the temporary opening of the bridge was to ease traffic load and ensure that travellers get to their destination on time.
Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, had last week Wednesday said the new Bridge will open to traffic on December 15 for 30 days
However, Esiet said, from 2nd Jan. 2023, only vehicles coming from the East to West will be allowed to use the new bridge.
Urging motorists to cooperate with all traffic managers to ensure free flow of traffic during the Yuletide, the Corps said it would collaborate with all relevant agencies to achieve the objective and avert the usual gridlock along the Niger bridge.
“Sequel to the commencement of the temporary opening of the second Niger bridge, from Dec. 15 2022 to Jan. 15 2023, by Mr Babatunde Fashola Minister of Works and Housing.
“FRSC Delta Corps Commander wishes to notify the motoring public that from Dec. 15 the Second Niger bridge will be opened to vehicles coming from West to East through Asaba.
“However, from 2nd Jan. 2023, only vehicles coming from the East to West will be allowed to use the Second Niger bridge.
“Members of the public are also informed that heavy duty trucks and trailers will not be allowed to use the new bridge”, Esiet said.
He urged motorists to avoid speeding, overloading, use of unsafe tyres and driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs so as to arrive alive.